Thursday, March 31, 2022

A case of mistaken identity?


Yesterday morning I fed the cats as usual. Merlin, who resides mainly in the catio, must eat with Ginger in the cat's room as they get fed the same food. And, Leo must eat his special CD food in the catio. When they are finished eating, I must bring Leo back in with us and Merlin returns to the catio. WELL, Leo decided that he was not ready to come back in with us yet and I had a schedule to keep. So, I opened the door and Merlin b-lined it directly over to the tall three story cat condo which Leo was sitting on. He jumped up at Leo in order to bully him off the condo and I ran over to intervene. Leo's back was toward me when I tried to pick him up off of the condo and he reacted by biting me on my left hand so hard that his large teeth dug pretty deep into my skin!

I quickly cleaned up my fresh wounds with hydrogen peroxide and bacitracin, then bandaged up my hand. This morning when I woke up it was all red and swollen and although it looked clean, it hurt like HELL! I proceeded to go into work and my Line Lead took a look at it and strongly suggested I leave and go to our local Patient First facility to get it checked out - so I did.

Long story short, they made me fill out an animal bite report required by the State of PA, gave me a tetanus shot, dispensed two weeks worth of 875mg of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium tablets, and re-bandaged my hand. 

I couldn't blame Leo because it was my own stupidity for not thinking before reacting. I truly believe that because Leo's back was toward me that he thought it was Merlin who touched him and WHAM, BITE, OUCH!! 

Ah yes, the perils of being a cat guardian. 

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'm glad your line leader made you go get it checked out. Cat bites can be so nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you went and got checked out! I had to do the same thing when Moose accidentally bit my finger when I handed him a piece of turkey (he got so excited he took the turkey AND my finger.). The urgent care wouldn't even treat me, they sent me straight to the ER. I also had to fill out the paper. A month later I got a letter in the mail that said "DO NOT DESTROY THE ANIMAL"... boy Moose got lucky, I was just about to destroy him 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I panicked when they made me fill out that paper! The nurse told me not to worry that "they won't take your kitty, it is just something the State makes us do with animal bites." OVER MY DEAD BODY will they take my cat! I would not let them! NO WAY!!

      Delete

My favorite Cat Dads!

What can I say about "cat dads"? Well, speaking as someone who has been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to share my l...