Sunday, February 18, 2024

Heartbroken ...



Tonight our hearts are breaking for poor Chester. Since we already have six house cats, we were never able to bring Chester in the house. The best we could do for him was give him shelter, a cat bed to sleep in, and a space heater in the garage. We fed him twice a day and took care of him the best we possibly could have. 

He began to come around about two years ago when my husband befriended him. We have no idea where he came from or how old he was, but we noticed the past few months (especially with the cold, ugly weather we have been having lately) that he, as with most outside cats began to age rapidly. He was having trouble walking - possibly arthritis (who knows?) and so we gave him Fancy Feast with turmeric mixed in with it to help him with his joints. He would sleep in the garage most days and nights on an old sofa cushion we have that he seemed to like and somehow managed to jump up on. 

A couple of times he would wander (not too far) and we would not see him for a couple of days and then suddenly he would show up and once again live in the garage. This past Friday night after we fed him he walked out of the garage and never came back. The Godforsaken snow came that night and we fear that he died outside somewhere because he never came back. 


Chester eating with his buddy Charlie.

I suggested bringing him in and keeping safe and warm in one of our large dog cages downstairs (away from the other cats) until winter was over but my husband said that he would not be happy living his last days that way so we didn't do it. I am regretting that decision now and both my husband and I are shedding a few tears over his loss. I only pray we gave him some happiness in his hard life.



8 comments:

  1. Oh no. My heart aches with yours. Thank you both for giving him a chance at life, and showing him a love that he would have missed out on. I'm sending prayers to you human angels 🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did all u could we have had this happen up here so many times or they get killed foxes, coyotes! We just lost Onyx end of December we could never catch her then she was in trap-well Joe came she was bleeding he said bad -he took her, and she had to be euthanized! She had a sad life !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. I am so sorry about your sweet kitty Onyx. It is so hard to lose them and all you want to do is save them - all of them!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry. Please know that you did all you could and your very best for Chester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so heartbreaking, I can definitely identify with your anguish. Please take comfort knowing that you did a lot for Chester. He had shelter, food, and love.
    Perhaps this sounds foolish, but I'm wondering if - by some miracle - Chester might return? Cats are often unpredictable. One time my (now deceased) cat Scruffy was missing for two days, and I finally found her under the house!
    Wherever Chester is, he remembers you and your husband with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Jon I was thinking the same thing and praying that he was just hiding out somewhere and may surprise us, but it has been three days now. :-(

      Thank you so much for your kind and caring words. It means a lot to me.

      Delete

My favorite Cat Dads!

What can I say about "cat dads"? Well, speaking as someone who has been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to share my l...