Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Raw Meat for Cats: Good or Bad idea?



Recently, the subject has come up in our household regarding
 how healthy it is to give cats "raw meat." Actually, it was
 suggested by a good friend of mine to use raw chicken to catch
 our rather elusive outside kitty cat.


According to the vet, the answer to this quandary is "Good."
 Raw meat, although repulsive to most of us, is very healthy for
 cats. It is good for their teeth and overall fitness. They can even
 eat bones so long as they are NOT cooked or microwaved, etc.
 The reason for this is simple. When bones are cooked in any
 fashion, it changes their density. Cooked bones are very hard
 and brittle and will without a doubt either puncture your cats
 stomach or cause them to choke!


Further, you should never feed your cat raw meat and kibble
 (cat food) at the same time nor close together. Cats digest raw
 meat very quickly unlike kibble which takes cats a few hours to
 digest. Therefore, feeding them kibble too soon after giving
 them raw meat can be extremely risky as the raw meat gets
 digested quickly so the bacteria does not have enough time
 to become a hazard to the cat. Mixing both the kibble and the
 meat together will only slow their digestive system down,
 causing the actual risk of the cat getting sick!


I, myself however, would certainly never presume to debate
 these medical facts. After all, who am I to argue with Mother
 Nature? Apparently, she knows what She is doing. However, I
 must add that, personally speaking, I still do not feel completely
 comfortable feeding my indoor cats raw meat.


(resource: http://catlovingcare.com/1561/blog/should-cats-eat-raw-chicken-and-uncooked-meat/2009/08/)

3 comments:

  1. Funny, this just came up on the news last night. Word from the vets for the news story was raw meat was not a good idea for pets. They used the same reasons humans don't eat raw meat as potential for food borne bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I would not eat ANY raw meat myself, so why would/should it be good for animals. To me, it is just commonsense. ;-)

      Delete

My favorite Cat Dads!

What can I say about "cat dads"? Well, speaking as someone who has been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to share my l...